Online Fashion Marketing Degrees To Land Your Dream Job!
The fashion industry is a highly crowded and competitive space. In order to get started in fashion marketing, one thing that can set you apart in the industry is a degree in the field. But with so many options to choose from, how are you supposed to figure out which degree is best for you? To help get started, we’ve outlined some of the most important facts to know about obtaining a degree in fashion industry!
As the world goes more digital, the fashion industry is adapting along with it. More schools are offering fashion marketing degrees online, which means you can now get an education in your preferred field from the comfort of your own home. What are you waiting for?
What is Fashion Marketing?
Fashion marketing can be defined more specifically as the industry that deals with advertising campaigns and promotional events for clothing and various accessories to targeted customers.  The marketing strategy in this case is focused on presenting a product as more appealing and desirable to a potential consumer. The main goals of fashion marketing are:
- To identify their target customers.
- To develop promotion strategies that encourage the target customers to buy a product.
Fashion marketing is different from other fields in the fashion industry. While fashion marketers play a role in setting product prices and plan distribution strategies, depending on the situation they may also be involved in the following responsibilities;
- Market research and analysis of fashion trends and consumer habits.
- Brand promotion and building trust in the brand.
- Create and manage advertising campaigns that resonate with the target customers.
- Studying the ratio between product sells and pricing.
Advantages of studying fashion marketing online
Online learning enables students to overcome geographical as well as financial limitations to access the best institutions in the world. With the advancement of technology, the internet is now accessible in almost every corner of the world. There are many prestigious institutions including Harvard, Oxford, Berkeley, Yale, MIT and Cambridge who offer online courses in various subjects including fashion designing and marketing. Here are some advantages of studying online.
Online studies give you more flexibility in terms of sticking to a specified place and time. In a survey conducted by the Learning house, 44% of students reported improvement in employment standing and 45% reported an increase in their salary.  Thus, you can get more work experience and creative skills.
You have the advantage of choosing your own learning environment according to your comfort. No time is spent waiting on the bus or driving in bad weather conditions that can result in you missing an important class.
If you are taking online classes you may experience several financial benefits such as time saved, lower living costs, less transportation and even sometimes savings on tuition.
Online studies require self motivation and time management skills. Since you are not tied to deadlines, it’s up to you to manage and learn at your own pace. You are allowed to focus on areas of the subject you are more interested in or uncertain about. Similarly, you can skip things you already know.
Online Schools for Fashion Degrees
1) Southern New Hampshire University Online
The bachelor of science in fashion merchandising management at Southern New Hampshire University focuses on developing knowledge and skills in five key areas including:
- Merchandise planning
- Application of retail theory
- Qualitative and quantitative data analysis
- Industry trend identification
- Textile purchasing
Classes are delivered in eight-week terms, with six terms per academic year. The university is ranked number one based on the quality of education and online learning environment. They charge an annual fee of $9,600. SNHU gives learners additional networking advantages as they transition out of school and into their careers.
2) Central Michigan University
Central Michigan University educates about 7,000 students through its online programs. They charge an annual fee of $13,454. They prepare students for careers designing and marketing new fashion products. The visual merchandising concentration is focused on in-depth analysis of fashion-related consumer behavior. Coursework also provides learning tools to examine purchasing environments such as in-store displays, trade shows, advertising, and branding.
3) Johnson & Wales University
The curriculum in this widely known institution focuses on key strategies for understanding, analysing and tracking emerging industry trends. The annual cost is about $14,850. Graduates are prepared for exciting jobs in fashion retail, merchandising, marketing, and the textile industry. Classes follow an 11-week class schedule.
Other renowned institutions that offer online fashion marketing degrees include; Old Dominion University, Lindenwood University, Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design and LIM College.
The fashion industry is a broad field that can lead to a variety of careers. People who hold fashion marketing degrees can take on a variety of roles, from a fashion marketer, merchandiser, advertising agent, event planner, store planner and entry-level jobs are common. Do your research and choose which online programs best fits your career goals.
- “What Is Fashion Marketing? – All About Becoming a Fashion Marketer.” LIM. May 05, 2020. Accessed july 26, 2020. https://www.limcollege.edu/academics/what-is-fashion-marketing.
- Aslanian, C. B., & Clinefelter, D. L. (2013) Online college students 2013: Comprehensive data on demands and preferences.Louisville, KY: The Learning House. Accessed july 26, 2020. http://www.learninghouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Online-College-Students-2013_Final.pdf
- Norman, Stephanie. “5 Advantages Of Online Learning: Education Without Leaving Home.” ELearning Industry. April 22, 2020. Accessed july 26, 2020. https://elearningindustry.com/5-advantages-of-online-learning-education-without-leaving-home.
- “Fashion Merchandising Degree Online: Bachelor’s Program.” Southern New Hampshire University. Accessed july 26, 2020. https://www.snhu.edu/online-degrees/bachelors/bs-in-fashion-merchandising-management.
- “Fashion Merchandising and Design.” Fashion Merchandising and Design | Central Michigan University. Accessed july 26, 2020. https://go.cmich.edu/academics/Undergraduate/Find_Program/Pages/Apparel_Merchandising.aspx.
- “Fashion Merchandising & Retailing.” JWU. July 06, 2020. Accessed july 26, 2020. https://online.jwu.edu/academics/undergraduate/fashion-merchandising-retailing.